DIY Security Systems but which is Best?
So you have slimmed it down to these two companies… Both Do It Yourself installation security systems where they program the equipment and ship it out to you. If you are looking for a company who installs it professionally for you, check out ADT — otherwise keep reading. Protect America has been in the industry longer but with Frontpoint’s newer system and home automation features, they are having a hard time keeping up.
|Protect America||Frontpoint Security|
|$19.99-54.99 / Month
$0 Starting Costs
|$36.99-59.99 / Month
$99+ Starting Costs
|DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Installation||DIY (Do-it-Yourself) Installation|
|Founded in 1992||Founded in 2007|
Basic Home Automation (Cameras)
Advanced Home Automation Available
|Free Mobile Control on Smart Phones||Free Mobile Control on any Smart device|
|A- BBB Rating||B+ BBB Rating|
|500,000+ Customers||125,000+ Customers|
|Headquartered in Texas||Headquarters in Virginia|
|Renters allowed||Renters allowed|
|Security Cameras and Home Automation||Cameras (Indoor & Out), Home Automation|
|Fire Monitoring $9.99/month||Fire Monitoring Equipment add on|
|BEST of: Overall Value||BEST: Overall Company|
Comparing Starting Equipment Packages
Beep — beep — beep!
You will get more equipment per package with Protect America. However, you will get higher end quality equipment with Frontpoint’s starter package. They both use General Electric brand of security equipment but offer different devices. If you have a land line still (not recommended) you can get monitoring costs down to $19.99 with Protect America if you are fine with only the basic security setup.
Products unique to Protect America:
- GPS Sensor in case your car gets stolen
- Secondary touchscreen panel
- Outdoor Siren
Products unique to Frontpoint:
- Standard touchscreen panel that is better
- Outdoor camera
- More smart home security features
- Recently added video doorbell viewer to their lineup
Both companies offer the standard to advanced equipment such as:
- Free mobile app to arm and disarm alarm system
- Window, Door, Motion & Glass-break sensors
- Security camera’s you can control from app
- Control panel
- 24/7 live stream video in full 1080p HD over Wi-Fi. Check in from anywhere at anytime. Send clips to family or friends...
- Night vision featuring 8 high-power infrared LEDs provide light for clear video in the darkest conditions.
- Mobile alerts and notifications let you know as soon as your camera spots activity. Take action or save the event for...
Final Opinion between these two security companies
Both are great companies and are here to stay. You really can’t go wrong choosing one over the other but after reading this you should understand the key differences. Frontpoint has a fan base unlike any other company which is rare in this industry (typically only complainers that write reviews online).
New to 2015-2016 you can also pay an extra fee for either company to send out a certified technician to install the system for you. This can save you the headache of trying to do it yourself but it really isn’t anything to be scared of. Both systems are peel-and-stick technology with helpful guides and customer service to help you get it done in 60 minutes or less. You can check out our top DIY security systems here.
- 3 Ways to know your Alarm System is Outdated
- Vivint vs ADT
- 7 Best Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights for Homes
- Top Home Security Systems in Atlanta, GA
- How to Cancel Your Alarm Contract
William is a tech buff and former corporate security officer turned cybercrime analyst. Computers have few secrets left for him, but home security and alarm systems… Well, those have plenty of secrets for their users, which William is now uncovering and explaining. His articles on home security helped many people take the matter seriously, invest in highly performing systems, and avoid becoming victims of burglaries.
Last update on 2023-05-14 at 03:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API