A smart peephole that enables you to see who’s at the door
The video doorbell technology have evolved well over the years. In the quest to achieve a smart home status, various technologies have been invented but the Yale look door viewer is different. Normally, a person is required to move to the door to check through the peephole to determine who is on the other side.
Note: This viewer is different from a smart video doorbell. Think of a standard viewer or ‘peephole’ that you go to the door and look through. It’s a bit awkward for everyone but they have been around for years. What Yale did was turn that into a smart device so you don’t have to walk to the door to peek out. The good part about this compared to a smart doorbell is if someone knocks you can quickly look at it. With video doorbell cameras, only if someone rings are they triggered as an alert (unless you modify settings to alert on all activity which can turn into too many alerts per day!)
Classic peephole. Do you feel these are now an ‘old’ device?
With the invention of Yale look door viewer, a person does not need to move from their couch, you just need your smart phone and you are good to go. The Yale look Door viewer uses a smartphone (iOS or Android application) to enable you see and speak to the person at the other side of the door.
A Peep into the advantages and disadvantages
- Offers optimal security
- Enhances mobility
The smartphone mobile app supports a live two-way conversation that allows you to speak to your visitors whether you are in the house or not.
- It is easy to install
- It can fit any standard door
- It has a color display panel
- Longevity to it. Peepholes have been around for decades and this is something you won’t have to update
- It has a fuzzy night vision
- Not able to integrate with Alarm.com or other security systems
- The 720p HD Camera is not reliable through a storm door.
- It has a very sensitive motion detector that can sound the alarm under a slight movement causing false alarms.
- Wide angle view full color camera
- Camera Battery charge indicator
- Micro SD card slot image storage space
- Motion detector on the exterior camera.
- Functions 24/7
Inside the box
- Micro USB Cable
- Look Door Viewer
- Door Template
- Micro SD card
- Rechargeable Battery
- Mounting Bracket and screws.
The look Door Viewer is very easy to install and connect to the mobile applications using Wi-Fi. For effective internet connection, the look door viewer requires 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi network and an internet speed of 1 mbs.
How to get it into your door and watching
Assembly shown from start to finish. Image credit unkown.
3.5 out of 5 on a ‘Hard to install’ scale.
To install the device, a screwdriver and a drilling tool in case you need to drill a hole. The Look Door Viewer replaces current peephole viewer that has a 9/16 and a standard 1.5 to 2.75 door. After removing the old peephole, insert the front part of the door viewer and then insert the wire through the mounting plate. After mounting the mountain bracket, connect the wiring to the back of the look Door Viewer.
What this going to cost?
New From: $179.00
Used From: $152.15
The Look Door Viewer comes into two types; the Wi-Fi and Digital Door Viewer. The Digital door view exists in standard and premium packages and does not connect to the smartphones. The camera feature records timed and date stamped videos and images making it easy to retrieve in case reference is needed. The images and videos could also be accessed through the look App. One issue with the device is that images are not clear at night compared to during the day. Also, during communication, there is a slight delay in the two-way communication. Despite the sound being clear, the device has a 2-3 seconds delay before either party hears the other speak. The device also has a distorted image or video in case the device is fitted behind a glass door.
- Important installation requirements - Wired doorbell and doorbell chime requires existing electrical wiring with voltage...
- See more at your front door - Arlo's security front door camera and door security devices lets you see a person from...
- Get a clearer picture - HD with HDR quality footage from your video door camera ensures you see the details on your...
Final Look on if the Yale Peephole is Worth it
The credible features of the Look Door viewer brings convenience, availability and flexibility to its customers. The device has a high performance and easy to install. Users are advised to avoid using the video options 24/7 because it drains the battery at a very fast rate. The Look Door Viewer is a good gadget to install in your home to enhance security.
- 3 Ways to know your Alarm System is Outdated
- Vivint vs ADT
- 7 Best Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights for Homes
- Top Home Security Systems in Atlanta, GA
- How to Cancel Your Alarm Contract
William is a tech buff and former corporate security officer turned cybercrime analyst. Computers have few secrets left for him, but home security and alarm systems… Well, those have plenty of secrets for their users, which William is now uncovering and explaining. His articles on home security helped many people take the matter seriously, invest in highly performing systems, and avoid becoming victims of burglaries.
Last update on 2023-01-31 at 22:11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API