Irrespective of whether you’re living in an apartment complex or an individual house, investing in the best self monitored home security system is of utmost importance. If you’re still not convinced, read up on the statistics with respect to burglaries. Around two million home burglaries a year are reported in the U.S. alone on average.
This puts home break-ins toward the top of the list when it comes to the most common threats to your home. With the best self monitored home security system in place, you can deter such unscrupulous activities and keep your home and your family safe and out of harm’s way. In this article, you will learn more about home security systems, their advantages, their pricing, and some of the best self monitored home security systems that your money can buy
Best Self Monitored Home Security System FAQ
Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about self monitored home security system options.
1. What Is A Self Monitored Home Security System?
Self monitored security systems are cameras and other connected devices placed throughout your home, which can be accessed remotely via an app and an internet connection. They enable you to view whatever is happening in your home in real time. This allows you to take immediate and necessary action to protect your home in the event of an emergency, such as calling the cops or emergency services.
2. What Are The Advantages Of The Best Self Monitored Home Security Systems?
Some advantages that the best self monitored home security systems offer are absolutely zero monthly fees, no middlemen, zero fees or penalties for false alarms, and the freedom to configure the system according to your needs and requirements. Purchasing the best self monitored home security system is basically a one-time investment, as there are absolutely no other recurring costs involved.
3. What Are The Factors To Consider Before Getting The Best Self Monitored Home Security System?
Before you set off to purchase the best self monitored home security system, some factors you should consider are whether you require a wired or wireless system, the inclusion or the option for viewing live feeds, quality and resolution of the cameras, whether it has night vision modes, the complexity of installation, and finally, the price point.
4. Where Can You Buy The Best Self Monitored Home Security System?
You can get some of the best self monitored home security systems from online marketplaces such as Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, and Target. Another alternative is to visit the manufacturer’s own website to check out their range of security systems before making an informed purchase.
How We Reviewed
We took the input of several security experts to compile a list of some of the best self monitored home security systems available on the market. We then went through several critic opinions and user reviews to better understand these systems and their functions. Once that was done, our team of reviewers took over and critically analyzed each system on the basis of their features, their pros and cons, their pricing, and their warranty information. The review team then compared these systems with one another to arrive at an unbiased verdict.
Overall Price Range Of The Best Self Monitored Home Security System
The usual price range of some of the best self monitored home security systems starts as low as around $$ and can go all the way up to around $$$. The pricing is primarily dependent on the technology that the security system uses, its interface, and the number of cameras that come with the system.
Generally, home security systems that are priced lower down the range often skip on several important aspects such as camera quality, night mode feature, and silent alarms, among others. Therefore, we recommend that you don’t prioritize the price as a factor when choosing the best self monitored home security system, as nothing is more important than the safety and security of your home and your family.
What We Reviewed
- abode Essentials Starter Kit
- Samsung SmartThings Smart Home Hub
- Arlo Pro 2 – Wireless Home Security System
- iSmartAlarm Preferred Home Security Package
- Ring Alarm – Home Security System
- Blink Indoor Home Security Camera System
- Canary and Flex – Total Home Pack
- Skylink WT-433 Window/Door Sensor
- POWERFUL WHOLE HOME SECURITY -- this central security hub includes a built-in 93dB siren, backup battery, ethernet and...
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR SECURITY SYSTEM -- add additional sensors or cameras to monitor all accessible doors/windows, water...
- PROFESSIONAL MONITORING -- add 24/7 professional monitoring for as little as 60 cents per day to automatically dispatch...
The abode Essentials Starter Kit offers you a solution to make your house more connected and stay protected all the time. As the kit is completely wireless, it can be self-installed and does not require any technical experience. The Essentials kit comes with a gateway, a window/door sensor, a remote key fob, and a motion sensor to get you started. You get all of this without having to sign a contract or subscribe to any mandatory plans.
- Extremely easy to install
- Sleek and minimalistic design
- Compatible with third party accessories
- Works well with both Android and iOS devices
- Adding third party accessories can be a hassle
- Average build-quality
- Your smart home needs a brain, so get started with a SmartThings Hub. It connects wirelessly with a wide range of smart...
- Add smart devices and put your home to work. Choose from a wide range of compatible devices, including lights, speakers,...
- Use the SmartThings app or Amazon Alexa to control your smart home. Teach your house new tricks by telling it what to do...
With the SmartThings Smart Home Hub set up in your house, you can connect a wide range of home security accessories including compatible third party accessories to secure your home from intruders. With the help of four replaceable AA batteries, the hub will continue to stay active even during a power outage. Additionally, with a range of around 50 to 130 feet, the hub can easily cover multiple rooms.
- Supports Amazon Alexa
- Provides around 10 hours of battery backup
- Can be used as a complete home automation tool
- Very compact and lightweight
- Lacks Nest integration
- No support for cellular networks
- 100 percent wire free: Free of power cords and wiring hassles
- 1080p HD high quality video with sharper and brighter details
- Flexible powering options use wire free, plugged in. Rechargeable battery
The Arlo Pro 2 is a complete wireless security system that eliminates the need to rewire your home to accommodate the system. Arlo Pro 2 comes with high-quality 1080p cameras that automatically switch to night vision mode under low-light and dark environments so you don’t miss a thing.
- Works with multiple voice assistants
- Cameras are weather resistant and can be used outdoors
- System can be powered entirely using batteries
- Great camera resolution
- Supports local backup storage via USB
- A tad bit more expensive
- The app is clunky and lacks refinement
- iPhone and Android smartphone enabled
- Free phone alerts, text message alerts, push notifications and Email alerts
- No monthly fees, no contracts required
Bid adieu to monthly fees and contracts with the iSmartAlarm Preferred Home Security Package. This security system is compatible with both Android and iOS devices, and offers alerts through push notifications, calls, text messages, and email. The package includes a hub, two window/door sensors, a motion sensor, two remote tags, and two sensor stickers. The system can also be expanded even further by connecting additional accessories such as cameras.
- Installation is easy
- Very affordable
- Supports Amazon Alexa and IFTTT accessories
- Fully wireless
- Good customer support
- App can be buggy and unreliable at times
- Doesn’t come with any battery backup
- Ring Alarm puts whole-home security at your fingertips. Get alerts on your smart phone when doors or windows open or...
- Optional 24/7 professional monitoring. No long-term contracts or cancellation fees.
- Manage Ring Alarm and other Ring products—including Ring Doorbell—with the Ring app.
Arguably one of the best self monitored home security systems out in the market, the Ring Alarm system is versatile and comes with all the necessary accessories to get you started. You can add as many compatible accessories as you wish at any point in time. Also, with up to 24 hours of battery backup, this Ring Alarm system ensures that your house continues to stay protected even in the midst of a power outage.
- Robust yet inexpensive
- Can be installed in minutes
- System is relatively easy to use
- Offers optional professional monitoring service
- No support for voice assistants
- Third-party accessories have limited compatibility
- MOTION DETECTOR: Built-in motion sensor alarm, when motion detector is triggered, WIFI cameras send an alert to your...
- BATTERY POWERED SECURITY SYSTEM: Wireless home camera with 2-year battery life, powered by 2 Lithium AA 1.5v...
- SMART HOME SECURITY: Simple self-install home monitoring in minutes; easy control wireless cameras with the included iOS...
The Blink Indoor Home Security Camera System is a compact two-in-one system that innovatively combines both the motion detector and the camera into a single module. The camera automatically records a short clip when it detects any motion and uploads it directly to the cloud. The system is completely wireless, relying on just a couple AA lithium batteries for power. The home security system is also compatible with Amazon Alexa, Android, and iOS devices via the Blink app.
- Supports live view streaming
- Comes with free cloud storage
- Uses AA batteries
- Low cost of ownership
- App functionality seems limited
- Lacks weather protection and cannot be used outdoors
- INDOOR HOME SECURITY CAMERA: 24/7 watch live, two-way talk, 1080p HD WiFi IP camera with high quality sound, 147°...
- EASY SETUP: No installation required. Simply plug it in, connect to WiFi, and all systems go
- AWARD-WINNING DESIGN: Blends beautifully into your home and can hide in plain sight
The Canary and Flex – Total Home Pack features a base security station and two cameras that are weatherproofed, enabling them to be used outdoors. The base station has a 90-decibel siren that is set off upon detecting intruders. Similar to the Blink home security system, the cameras come with motion sensors that begin recording upon detecting any movement. In addition to that, the Canary and Flex system sends out video alerts instantly to your configured Android or iOS device.
- Base station features a siren
- Compact design
- Works with voice assistants
- Features a two-way radio
- Lacks local storage
- Battery is not user-replaceable
No products found.
No products found.
The Skylink WT-433 sensor can be used to protect your home from intruders and to warn you in case there’s an emergency or a crisis. When paired with the control panel, the sensor sends a signal as soon as it detects an entry or an exit. The WT-433 covers a wide range of up to 100 feet and runs completely wire-free with the help of a 12-volt alkaline battery.
- No fees or contracts
- Compatible with Skylink emergency dialer or control panel
- Battery lasts for a long time
- Double-sided tape doesn’t stick well
- Looks big and bulky
Based on our review of the best self monitored home security systems, the Arlo Pro 2 comes out as the best security system that you can use to protect your home. The cameras are weather-resistant and can operate normally in a wide variety of conditions. Their ability to record high-quality videos even in low-light conditions is a great additional feature for people looking to adequately secure their homes.
You can even chuck wires and go completely wireless as long as you remember to charge the devices occasionally. Furthermore, with full support for various voice assistants such as Alexa and Google Assistant, you can simply use voice commands to operate the system.
On the other hand, if the asking price of the Arlo Pro 2 is beyond your budget, then the abode Essentials Starter Kit and the iSmartAlarm Preferred Home Security Package are perfectly viable alternatives that you can consider. While both of these options lack the functionality of the Arlo Pro 2, they’re considerably cheaper and yet offer the same wireless and hassle-free experience.
Last update on 2021-11-06 at 12:10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API