No one likes a home invasion. Compromising your own safety and the safety of your whole family is a serious risk, especially if you live in a neighborhood that has recently seen an increase in burglaries. Even if you live in a safe neighborhood, why take a chance? If you are planning on protecting yourself and your family from possible burglars, investing in the best wired security camera system is a must.
There are many different cameras out there in the current market, with each one having unique features and extra perks that others may not have. Choosing the best wired security camera system can be difficult, which is why we created this ultimate review guide. In this guide, we talk about and compare some of the most powerful and advanced security systems out there, meaning that it’s going to be easier for you to choose the most effective one, or one that depends on your specific situation.
Before you can read our review guide, we have constructed a FAQ section which answers some of the most common questions regarding wired security camera systems. The answers to these questions are mostly meant to introduce you to the technology, how it works, what it does, and so on.
1. What Is a Wired Security Camera System?
A wired security camera system is a system that consists of a camera, a monitor, and wires to link everything together.
2. What Does a Wired Security Camera System Do?
As the name might already suggest, a wired security camera system allows for a surveillance camera to be placed either inside or outside of your house to monitor and record all activities.
3. How Does a Wired Security Camera System Work?
Since the system mainly consists of a camera, a monitor, and wires, the camera is hooked up to the monitor via a wire so that it’s able to transmit all recordings onto it. One advantage that wired cameras have over wireless ones is that wired cameras will experience far less interruptions.
4. Where Can You Buy a Wired Security Camera System?
Typically, you can buy such a system from a store that specializes in things like “As Seen on TV” products. However, that is not highly recommended, as such systems are cheap and have poor quality. Some good places to buy effective systems would be Amazon or directly from the manufacturer’s website.
5. Is There Anything Else I Should Know?
Before investing in the best wired security camera system, there are a few things you have to keep in mind –
- Most systems will not come with a mouse, monitor, and keyboard (in most cases). As a result, make sure you have a set so that it’ll be easier for you to display all recordings and navigate through them.
- Since the system will come with a DVR box, make sure you have a game plan in mind. Find out how you’ll route the cables through your home.
- Unless you are willing to pay extra money for a professional installation, you must get ready to get your hands dirty. That requires you to most likely crawl through your attic or basement.
How We Reviewed
When reviewing some of the best wired security camera systems out there, we took multiple things into consideration: features, perks, quality, connections, battery life, and so on. It’s worth it to note that the more expensive systems have better features and other additional abilities as compared to systems that cost less. However, that isn’t meant to say that the systems that cost less are poor and terrible. They are incredibly effective and perform their job very well, just not as well as the more expensive ones.
Overall Price Range of The Products
The overall price range of the following best wired security camera systems is from $60 to $400. The more expensive models mostly come with multiple cameras, while those that cost less come with either one or two cameras. For the most part, all of the cameras have a fantastic resolution, although those that are more expensive have a 1080p and 144p resolution. Plus, some of the cameras allow you to customize motion detection and frequency of surveillance.
What We Reviewed
- Reolink PTZ Security Camera
- Nest Wired Security Standard Surveillance Cameras
- Zmodo Full HD 1080p Simplified PoE Security System
- Ring Video Doorbell 2
- August Doorbell Cam Pro
- Night Owl Security HD201-86P-B Video Security Camera
- Reolink PoE Camera 4MP Super HD Home Security Cam
- Anlapus Upgraded 8-Channel 720P Home Security Camera
- Ring Stick Up Cam Wired HD Security Camera w/2-Way Talk
- Kuna Maximus Video Security Camera and Outdoor Light
[amazon link=”B016UCNP08″ title=”1. Reolink PTZ Security Camera” /]
When comparing some of the best wired security camera systems in today’s market, it’s hard to beat the Reolink PTZ. With a 360° endless pan, a 90° tilt, and a 4X optical zoom, this camera has an incredible range and very high quality (1080p Full HD and even 1440p Super HD). Another feature that it has is six Infrared LED cameras for long-distance night vision up to 190 feet.
- High resolution and video quality
- Six built-in Infrared LED cameras
- Has a 90° tilt and 360° pan
- Remote access and free apps
- Few configuration options
- No Wi-Fi option
- No SD card
[amazon link=”B01I3I9L8M” title=”2. Nest Wired Outdoor Security Standard Surveillance Cameras” /]
With its slick design and the ability to pair up with Alexa, the Nest Wired Outdoor Camera is exactly what you need if you are looking to put up a camera outside of your house. The Nest device can also pair up with your other Nest products, giving it the ability to take advantage of extra features and abilities. For instance, if you own a Nest Secure, you can use your smart light bulbs to help get your attention in an emergency situation.
- Works with Alexa
- Compatible with other Nest products
- Has a built-in speaker and microphone
- Has an official app
- Has an indoor version
- Nest Aware service costs extra money
- Camera loses most features without Nest Aware
- Can sometimes suffer from occasional signal hiccups
[amazon link=”B074QNJQRB” title=”3. Zmodo Full HD 1080p Simplified PoE Security System” /]
The Zmodo Simplified PoE Security System has two-way audio so that you can communicate with those inside the house. Aside from the audio feature, the Zmodo also has intelligent recording on the NVR which will optimize storage space by compressing recorded footage when there’s no motion detected and recording at 25 FPS whenever there is motion. You can also take advantage of the optional cloud and local recording features.
- Two-way audio
- The NVR box has a sophisticated recording feature
- Very easy to hook up and install
- Multiple options for controlling night vision
- Occasional delay between what you see on screen and the alert notifying you about it
- App can suffer from occasional hiccups
- Playbacks work with cloud service
[amazon link=”B072QLXK2T” title=”4. Ring Video Doorbell 2″ /]
If you are looking for something simple but effective, Amazon’s Ring Video Doorbell 2 has a high quality resolution and 160-degree field of view. Plus, it is compatible with Alexa and Echo, meaning that if you have those devices, you can take advantage of many additional features. One feature, for instance, sends announcements to Echo whenever motion is detected or the doorbell is pressed, letting you communicate with visitors.
- Can be powered by a rechargeable battery or via a connection to doorbell wires.
- Sends immediate alerts whenever the doorbell is pressed or motion is detected
- Allows you to hear, see, and talk with all visitors via your PC, smartphone, or tablet device
- Includes lifetime theft protection
- Requires subscription service to view recorded videos
- Rechargeable battery can be difficult to remove
- May not fit on most doorframes
[amazon link=”B075SY59M9″ title=”5. August Doorbell Cam Pro” /]
Like some of the best wired security camera systems out there, the August Doorbell Cam Pro has similar features as well. The camera has two-way talk, push alerts, and live streaming, plus, it has built-in floodlights which deliver high quality, colored videos even at night.
- Built-in floodlights
- Integration with other August devices
- Integration with Nest devices and Alexa
- Has a cloud storage subscription
- Square shape may not fit on all doorframes
- Only compatible with mechanical chimes
[amazon link=”B0795G1X4J” title=”6. Night Owl Security HD201-86P-B Video Security Camera” /]
Being compatible with both, Night Owl HD analog and standard analog BNC cameras, the Night Owl security system offers customers a 100° viewing angle as well as the option to use the cameras either indoors or outdoors. Plus, users can view and playback footage directly from their smart devices.
- Wide angle view cameras
- Night vision of up to 100 feet
- View and playback footage directly from your Smart device
- Backwards compatible DVR
- Can install either indoors or outdoors
- Not the most durable camera for poor weather conditions
- App has many issues, glitches, and connection losses
[amazon link=”B010LH48F4″ title=”7. Reolink PoE Camera 4MP Super HD Home Security Cam” /]
Just like its PTZ cousin, the Reolink PoE has almost all the same features minus the 360° endless pan and 90° tilt features. For its size, the camera has a respectable viewing angle (80°) and a distance of up to 100 feet for night vision. Plus, it’s very easy to mount and install.
- Comes with an SD card slot
- Has 19 Infrared LED cameras
- An incredible 1440p resolution
- Not the greatest customer service
- Camera might seem small for some users
[amazon link=”B01F33C3AS” title=”8. Anlapus Upgraded 8-Channel 720P Home Security Camera” /]
Out of the box, you get four cameras and everything you’ll need to set them up correctly. Plus, the package comes with other things like a mouse, so all you need is a monitor and a keyboard to be good to go. On top of that, you can also customize the motion detection feature the way you like.
- Has multiple recording modes
- Customizable motion detection
- Easy to install
- Internal hard drive not included
[amazon link=”B07H163S6″ title=”9. Ring Stick Up Cam Wired HD Security Camera w/2-Way Talk” /]
Being an Amazon product, you can already expect for this camera to be compatible with your other devices such as Alexa. The mounting stand allows for you to place this thing anywhere you want. Whether it’s outside, indoors, or even the ceiling, the Ring Stick Up Cam is useful to those who have a specific place in mind anywhere within or outside their home.
- Can be placed anywhere
- Compatible with other Amazon devices
- Can be connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet
- Remote-activated siren
- Does not have an LED spotlight unlike its cousin
- Siren isn’t very loud
[amazon link=”B010FWU62E” title=”10. Kuna Maximus Video Security Camera and Outdoor Light” /]
Finishing our list of the 10 best wired security camera systems is the Kuna Maximus. Perhaps the most stylish of all the cameras listed here, the Kuna Maximus is an outdoor light fixture with a built-in security camera. It also has other features such as two-way audio communication, an alarm, a siren, and so on.
- Clever, sneaky, and stylish
- Compatible with Alexa
- Easy installation with no batteries
- No night vision
- Have to pay for cloud storage
- You may have to remove your current outdoor light fixture for this one
Where to Buy
The Verdict: Which is the Best Wired Security Camera System?
After looking at all 10 systems, the best wired security camera system that has our attention is the Reolink PTZ. Offering a video quality of up to 1440p, having a 90° tilt and 360° pan, and also using infrared LED cameras for long-distance night vision viewing, this camera has tons of useful features packed into one. However, if you are willing to spend less, then its cousin, the Reolink PoE, is also a great choice. Mostly all features are retained except for the tilt and pan ones, but the video quality is still there along with an SD card slot.