Most Widely Used System Ever — but time to Upgrade?
The GE Simon XT Security System is a complete home security system manufactured by Interlogix formerly GE security. A leading security manufacturing company based in the United states. The Simon XT replaces the now discontinued Simon 3. The Simon XT comes with 40 different zones giving enough point for connection of different types of wireless transmitters, it also comes with an option of two wired transmitters. This is the biggest competitor to 2gig and Honeywell’s security systems. Before going more in depth lets look at the specs.
A look at the specification sheet of GE Simon XT security system shows the following basic features:
- 40 wireless zones — two can be hardwired
- Built-in PSTN 2-way voice capability (available over cellular network as an optional module)
- Supports both crystal and SAW Learn-Mode sensors
- Supports repeaters
- Supports 2-way RF products
- Chime feature for monitoring door, window or motion activity
- 1 master access code and 8 programmable user access codes of 3 to 6 digits
- SIA or CID central station reporting formats and Voice Event Notification reporting via PSTN (native) and/or optional GSM and IP module
- Programmable No Activity and No Usage report features
- Meets SIA False Alarm Standards
- 100-event buffer with time-and-date stamp
- Panel voice and beeps that can be disabled
- Program panel with built-in touchpad or Enterprise Downloader software v3.4 or later
- Digitized voice
- Expansion options
– Internet-based interactivity (with third-party providers such as Alarm.com or self proprietary security apps)
– Support for on-premises remote control with optional talking touchpad accessory.
The good and the bad the GE Simon XT:
Having a Simon XT security system installed has lots of advantages, but it also has its downfalls. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of a Simon XT system.
- Easy to set-up with an elaborate installation manual
- Numerous wireless zones
- Remote access Available via Alarm.com portal
- Can be easily monitored by a paid monitoring service.
- Z-wave compatible
- Two-way voice capability.
- Comes with a backup battery in case of power outage
- Might be difficult to install for tech noobs
- Requires a monitoring service to get fully utilized.
Companies that offer a Simon XT panel in their security lineup:
- ADT Dealers
- Protect America
- Frontpoint (although they upgraded to touchscreen if you ask)
- Guardian protection
- Protection 1 did (recently sold company but existing users will have it)
- Most Tyco security dealers
- Ma and Pa small time shops
*Most companies are moving on and upgrading from this panel. It is durable and has lasted years but for most, it is time to get touchscreens.
What’s in the box
- Simon XT Security Control System
- 2 Wireless Crystal Door/Window Contacts or Microcontact
- 1 SAW Pet-Immune Motion Sensor
- 1 unit 4-Button Keychain Remote
- 1 Simon XT Installation DVD
- Rechargeable 24-hour backup battery,
- Telephone jack and flat cord
- 4 security window stickers.
- 1080p HD Image Quality and Clear IR Night Vision: 130 degree wide angle, 1080p video and images. Cameras for home...
- Smart Motion Detection: This rechargeable surveillance camera equipped with night vision and advanced PIR motion...
- Easy About Install and Setup, Waterproof: This battery powered wireless and cordless outdoor surveillance camera is easy...
How to get the Simon XT Up and Running
Installation is ‘relatively easy’ for most people. As the system is mainly wireless. There is no professional installation, although some sellers may offer professional installation service if needed. Out of the box, the Simon XT is a Do It Yourself installation security kit which should be successfully installed within 30 minutes.
The tricky part however, is running the power code down to the outlet. This typically requires a certified technician (for electrical purposes and safety) to do it. You also need the right tools. This is needed if you are mounting it on the wall. If you are going to set it up in a closet where the cord will be not need to be hidden then plan on doing it by yourself.
Depending on need the Simon XT comes in a variety of packages, most notable of them is the starter package and the deluxe package. The starter package offers the Simon XT package, rechargeable battery, power pack but with no sensor which sets it apart from the deluxe package which comes with a number of sensors.
If you take a look at Protect America who uses this security system still to date, you will see they vary pricing from $19.99 to $49.99/mo. You can get a second touch screen GE panel and then put Simon XT (which is bulkier) in a closet or hidden spot. Key fobs still integrate with either panel and with the touchscreen it is more appealing and can still enter the keycode to turn on and off.
The Simon XT security systems have been around for a while and still, makes for a complete and affordable home security system. There is an upgrade to the Simon XT Security called the Simon XTi yet the XT Security system continues to be a preferred choice among home and home security authorized dealers.
- 3 Ways to know your Alarm System is Outdated
- Vivint vs ADT
- 7 Best Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights for Homes
- Top Home Security Systems in Atlanta, GA
- How to Cancel Your Alarm Contract
Growing up with Law and Order and CSI shows taught Isabelle Landau one thing: if people back then had high-quality home security systems, those series would have been way shorter. In our modern world, technology helps us keep burglars away easily, and this is what Izzy studies and writes about: alarm systems, home security, protection systems, and more.
Last update on 2023-05-14 at 03:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Leave a Reply